Monday, July 11, 2011

Our Mother's Mission Part III: Connecting, Thanking, Praising, Trusting

Kansas City, Missouri
July 11, 2011
11:42 a.m.
Our Mother’s Mission Part III:
Connecting, Thanking, Praising, Trusting
“Deeper into the woods the path itself becomes illumined”
                                                                            --anonymous
Crossing the Missouri river, swollen with the threat of flooding, we drove from North Kansas City to the older section of town.  For a moment we caught a view of the skyline.  One roof in particular stood out.  It was the golden spire of a church ablaze in the setting sunlight.  
Half an hour later we were in the sitting room of a senior housing facility in the city, interviewing the 90-year old mother of a friend, let’s call her Sara.  We had realized we hadn’t talked in depth with many women older than myself -- I’m 72 -- and we wanted her perspective, for she remembers butting her head up against the so-called “glass ceiling” of limited career advancement in the 50s and 60s.  Being a self-described rebel (and a single widowed working mother) she knows that she played her part in the 70s to shatter the barrier, if only through her attitude of support for other women in their struggles and victories.  Needless to say, Sara was very supportive of Sole 2 Soul Walk, and but for her weak knees would probably be walking with us -- at least for a few symbolic blocks. 
Scouting for a quiet place for the interview, away from background noise of the residents’ conversation and television, we went into the patio and Viveka noticed that very church -- the one with the gleaming golden cupola -- was standing right next door!  What were the chances?  We hadn’t planned it in the least.  So when I had the opportunity, I asked Sara about the church.
“That’s the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception,” she told us.  Clearly it had been there for a long time.  The original building, I later learned, dated from 1833, and had taken on its present shape and status as a cathedral in 1882.  It was built on the highest ground in the city, and for many years was the tallest building around.  in 1960 its copper cupola was replaced with 23 carat gold leaf which allows it to dramatize the skyline with the rich grace of gold.  Sara told us stories of growing up in this neighborhood, and the strange sensation of living in the spaces of her childhood, now so dramatically altered.
Now I am not a Roman Catholic, although one side of my family tree is rooted in that faith tradition.  Believe me, I would not be going on about a building were it not for Our Mother’s Mission, which I have been blogging about these past three weeks:  first in detailing the development of my relationship with my daughter on this trip; second in talking about Death as the Mother of Beauty, last week; and  third, this week, showcasing Mary, as the Western world’s chief exponent of the Divine Mother herself.  
Oh yes.  Mary is the subject of the Immaculate Conception to which the Kansas City Cathedral is dedicated.  Most people think that “the immaculate conception” refers to Jesus’ conception at the time of the Annunciation by Archangel Gabriel.  But no, the immaculate conception refers to the circumstances of Mary’s birth.  The Catholic church -- bless them eternally (and I mean it!) -- found a way to honor Mary especially, by giving her an exalted status.  Her very conception, they reasoned (and decided) must have been free from the stain of “original sin” a doctrine they had devised and named to explain why the world is so off purpose and out of joint due to Adam and Eve’s disobedience.  Mary was “full of grace,” because God in His eternal prescient wisdom had set her aside for a special mission at the time of her conception by St. Anne and St. Joachim.  Otherwise how could God have chosen her to be the Mother of His Only Begotten Son?
Why am I, a Protestant, an Interfaith Minister, a Freelance Mystic, and only an advanced beginner on the spiritual path, writing a blog about this marvelous piece of religious history and doctrine?  It is not because I am a fan of “original sin,” -- I would prefer another way of talking about "the separation" -- but I won’t belabor its role in Christianity here.  I only mention it because I want you all to know about “The Magnificat,” if you don’t already.  It refers to the powerful and prayerful words Mary is reported to have spoken to the Archangel when she accepted her Divine Assignment.  Her prayer is modeled after Hannah’s. (Hannah was the heretofore barren mother of Samuel) in the First Testament.  Most Christians of whatever persuasion have sung or have heard the prayer set to inspiring music. Here is the version I like the best, archaic language and all, although there are many:
My soul doth magnify the Lord : and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
For he hath regarded : the low estate of his handmaiden.
For behold, from henceforth : all generations shall call me blessed.
For he that is mighty hath magnified me : and holy is his Name.
And his mercy is on them that fear him : throughout all generations.
He hath shewed strength with his arm : he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat : and hath exalted the humble and meek.
He hath filled the hungry with good things : and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel : as he promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed for ever. 
As I let the words sink in one more time, I hear newly the Spirit of My Mother’s Mission, and it fortifies me on my chosen path.  
Hannah prayed for G-d to hear her, and give her a son.  He did, because of the effectual, fervent nature of her prayer.  But the child, Samuel, was to be dedicated to G-d’s work.  She made this deal, and kept her promise.  
And Mary, we are told in the book of Luke, (1:26-38) accepted her astonishing assignment (for nothing will be impossible with God) with these words:  “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.”  
To me, these words ARE "The Magnificat."  By connecting with and calling upon G-d -- which merely means talking to G-d simply and directly, by giving thanks, by praising the Divine Will behind Creation, and by letting go of our attachment to an outcome we might prefer, and trusting in an outcome that is beyond our understanding, we can be about Our Mother’s Mission on this planet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment